Wednesday, March 04, 2009

ironing for jesus? part one

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23

This scripture caught my attention recently and it has caused me to take a close look at my motives and attitude as I go about my day. My mother-in-law gave me a cookbook a long time ago and inside the cover she wrote a short note that said "Always cook with love." Since then, not one day has passed that I have cooked for my family without love in my heart. Now... sometimes I get frustrated because I can't think of anything to cook and there are times when my cooking isn't all that great. But I can honestly say that I have "always cooked with love".

Too bad my mother-in-law didn't give me a new iron with a note saying "Always iron with love." Because I always iron with hate and a bad attitude! I usually set up the ironing board in my bedroom and it takes me a week or more of starting and stopping to get a stack of clothes ironed. I am convinced that ironing is of the devil.

Is it difficult for you to find enthusiasm in the tasks that you just don't like? At home? At your job? Of course there will be times when we work at "whatever" with ALL our heart, and the results aren't ideal. But that's where grace comes in. Stay tuned...

No comments: