Sunday, March 08, 2009

crisis and opportunity

I went to Newspring Church with Kacie this morning. They kicked off a financial series entitled Where's My Bailout?. Many times people complain when a church teaches about money. "Here they go again. They want my money". But in these tough economic times, I believe people are more willing to hear about God's desire for their finances. Why? Because that is what they are thinking about. Money...particularly the lack of it!

During the message I began thinking about President Obama's recent challenge to “discover great opportunity in the midst of great crisis.” I don't know what his exact motivation was behind that statement, but we can all use this advice and find ways to honor God with our money. We can look for opportunities to give generously. Re-evaluating our budgets is a great opportunity to begin spending wisely. But the greatest opportunity we have right now is showing God's love to others. It is free and it is priceless.

No comments: