Tuesday, November 21, 2006

pass the cranberries, please

I've never gotten a voicemail devotional before until yesterday when my uncle left a message, reminding me that Thanksgiving isn't about food at all, but about being thankful to God for all the blessings that we have received from Him.

I'm thinking he was trying to invite himself over for dinner, but I'm not sure.

I had to memorize Psalm 100 as an elementary student at the Baptist school that I attended. I was probably not a happy camper at the time about memorizing something so lengthy. But I am thankful now, because it is a passage that I continue to hide in my heart.

So as you are deciding whether you want white meat or dark meat, pause for a second and remember what Psalm 100 is asking us to do:

1. Make a joyful noise to the Lord
2. Serve the Lord with gladness
3. Come before His presence with singing
4. Know that the Lord is God
5. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving
6. Enter into His courts with praise
7. Be thankful to Him
8. Bless His name

We don't even have to get up from the dinner table to do these things! Actually, this passage should be our way of life...a spirit of thanksgiving every day.

Thanksgiving riddle: Why was the turkey allowed to be in the band?

If you know the answer, post a comment...

1 comment:

Brent Douglas said...

Because he had his own drumsticks! haaahaaaa!