Wednesday, October 10, 2007

i almost got beat up at van halen

Ha! Now that Perry has told his story, I feel better about telling mine.

So we are singing/yelling along with David Lee Roth at the Van Halen concert in Charlotte. He is singing "Running with the Devil". My group is singing "Running FROM the Devil". And then the devil shows up.

I begin to smell a familiar smoke smell that I haven't smelled in a long time, and I am not talking about tobacco. Every person near me spins their head around, looking for the culprit who has invaded our airspace with that stench. She is in the row in front of me, diagonally down the aisle. After she lights up her third doobie, she sees me staring at her. That is when the yelling starts. I turn my head quickly because...Is she screaming at moi? I look out of the corner of my eye and see her pointing and screaming in my direction. This is the moment I realize I just might get beat up by a Mama Cass wannabe (from the Mamas and Papas). I try to ignore her, still singing along, cell phone raised. She is still yelling at me. I picture my mug shot and my mangled body. Are they going to let me wash the blood out of my hair first? Will I pass a drug test since I have been sniffing her smoke? Should I just go ahead and lie on the ground so she doesn't pull me down by my hair? The screaming and pointing is getting louder now. I continue to ignore her. The BFF I am with takes notice, steps in front of me and points back at Mama Cass and tells her to SHUT UP! She eventually shuts up and leaves our section. My friend saved my life and my hair from getting messed up.

What did I learn from this experience?
1. Don't stare at people smoking dope.
2. Have friends who would lay down their life for you!

John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

No comments: