Friday, October 12, 2007

The Hot Seat with Melanie Kumrow

The Hot Seat is back! This time my victim is Melanie Kumrow, a breast cancer survivor and my "fish" who I invited to TrueNorth Church. Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness month I asked Melanie to share her experience here:

1. How were you first diagnosed with breast cancer?

I went for my first routine mammogram at age 40. No lumps were present, just microcalcifications. One biopsy showed stage 3 breast cancer.

2. Has cancer affected your spiritual life?

I developed a staph infection from surgery that almost killed me. My friends and especially my mother-in-law prayed steadily for me. I realized it would take God's power to pull me through that situation and it was a turning point of surrendering my life to Him.

3. How has God been able to use your cancer to help others?

I am a registered nurse and I have a new job where I work directly with cancer patients in research. We are hoping to find a cure and treatments to give patients a prolonged, better quality of life.

4. Many people think that cancer is the worst thing that could happen to a person. What do you think?

I lost my dad suddenly at the age of 64 from a massive heart attack. That devasted me more than being diagnosed with cancer. There are definitely worse things than cancer.

5. How has being a breast cancer survivor changed your outlook on life?

I don't sweat the small stuff anymore. My motto is to live in the moment and not waste a single day.

No comments: