Monday, October 08, 2007

cata-LIST

Here is my Catalyst Cata-LIST of my favorite conference speakers and what information stood out to me personally. Some of it was affirmation for me and some of it was toe-stepping conviction.

1. Andy Stanley - He has been reading my mind. After hearing Andy, I knew why God worked it out for me to be there. I felt like I was the only person in the room.
I am afraid of power. And I thought that was a BAD thing. I thought being afraid of power meant I wasn't a good leader. The reason I fear power is because I have seen it misused in leadership. I don't ever want to be in a position of power where I use it for my own sake. I want to be a person of influence instead.

2. Francis Chan - I was mesmerized by him, therefore I took very little notes. The big idea here was "do what God tells you to do, not what other people tell you to do. Believe that you were created for this."

3. Rick Warren - I took two pages of notes from the Purpose Driven Pastor. I loved what he said about being a church of DEEDS and not CREEDS! We should know what we believe and DO IT!

4. John Maxwell - Another extremely valuable and applicable rule of leadership: Be a people person. Value people on purpose. If I ever stop relating to other people, I am firing my own self from leadership.

5. Craig Groeschel - Great communicator! "A practical atheist believes God exists, but lives as though he doesn't." Ouchie.

6. Dave Ramsey - I want to be his new best friend. "What could the people of God do for the kingdom of God if they were debt free?"

Steve Fee and Christian Stanfill were amazing worship leaders as usual. There's nothing like singing 'Mighty to Save' with 11,000 of your closest friends!

1 comment:

Brent Douglas said...

Francis Chan is the stuff! He spoke at Passion this year, too. He's got a cool website with a 15 minute outreach movie called Juststopandthink.com that's really cool. Dave Ramsey is a cool guy, too. My old bandmate and I met a girl and her mom in Colorado at the GMA Music in the Rockies conference. We had a show in ATL a few weeks later and apparently these people were loaded. So they loved us so much the mom let her daughter fly alone to ATL and meet her dad who was there on busines staying with his best friend Dave Ramsey. I didn't really know the extent of Dave Ramsey's "fame" then. Well they all came to our concert and we hung out with Dave Ramsey all day. So there's my claim to fame.