Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Hot Seat with TJ and Kevin

These guys could barely be still for me to take their picture. TJ Barton (pronounced tee'jay) and Kevin Bradford are worship leaders at TrueNorth Church. Let's see how the BFF's handle being on the hot seat:

1. How long have you been leading worship?

TJ: Since 2004.

KB:I've been leading worship for a little over 10 years. My first leading opportunity was for my church youth group playing such greats as "Pharoah, Pharoah" and "I've Got A River of Life". Wow, those were the days...

2. What is your biggest challenge as a worship leader?

TJ: Remembering the chords and the lyrics!!!!! Really, the biggest challenge for me is trying to veer away from being performance minded. I truly believe that we have to give our best to God and that requires us to practice and strive to get better. However, I constantly have to remind myself to just trust Him...if I do that, then everything always works out.

KB: Removing who I am and what I've done to prepare and allowing God to take control. It's very easy to put confidence in how much I've prepared and how I feel about the songs going into an experience with God. The most challenging for me is to remember God and that He's on the throne, in control, no matter what I'm doing. Jesus said that the rocks will cry out if God's people don't. So he's going to be worshipped regardless of whether I'm involved or not...so I'd rather do it His way!

3. What is your favorite aspect of leading worship?

TJ: Getting to connect with and feel the heartbeat of the church! I get to be one of the few people that faces the people during worship, so I get such a different perspective. It's great to be able to worship God and hopefully take almost 1000 people with me!

KB: I have always been thankful for the unique vantage point of a worship leader. We get to watch others connect with God through song and other things. People have asked me in the past how I worship because I've got so many things I'm responsible for when I lead worship. Well, that's it...watching others. That is one of the most rewarding parts of what I do.

4. Who inspires you musically?

TJ: David Crowder, Incubus, Coldplay, Dave Mathews Band, Hillsong United, Steve Fee (FEE), Future of Forestry

KB:I have quite a range of influences...Harry Connick Jr, Maroon5, the Passion guys (Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Matt Redman, etc), Switchfoot, Vertical Horizon...I could go on and on! Oh! And how could I forget Mute Math???? Those guys are amazing!

5. What have you been listening to in your spare time?

TJ: At the house I've been listening to Marshall yelling at the dog. In the car, I've been listening to Francis Chan and Craig Groeschel podcasts. Good stuff!

KB: Spare time? What's that?

No comments: