Friday, April 27, 2007

relay for life

So I was emailing my Journey Team and writing a blog post at the same time yesterday afternoon when I got a phone call about someone in our church who just found out his body is full of cancer. John is 43 years old and has two teenagers.

Suddenly my blog post seemed really stupid. In fact I wanted to just shut down my whole blog site. I was in a daze. I even drank milk straight out of the jug for the first time ever because who cares? Somebody just found out they are dying from cancer and everything else is NOTHING in comparison.

I am related to this man and his wife through Journey Teams. They belong to a group that came out of our group, which makes me feel like their grandmother or something (or maybe a young aunt). Their Journey Team is a great testimony of how important it is to experience authentic, meaningful relationships. Watching them from the outside makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Relay for Life Cancer Walk is tonight at North Augusta High School beginning at 6pm. John will be there to walk the survivor lap, "relaying for his life" if you will, after just finding out his prognosis yesterday. His whole Journey Team and other supporters from TNC will be there to walk with him.

If you have not been touched by cancer at some point in your life, chances are you will. Come support this worthy cause. It is a great community experience that will make you laugh and cry at the same time.

No comments: