Monday, April 16, 2007

The Hot Seat with Walt Tanner

I am starting a "5 questions"-type post that will appear on my blog periodically. It is a chance for folks who visit my blog to get to know the crazy people I hang out with. My first victim is Walt Tanner, student pastor at TrueNorth Church. Say hi to his wife Betsy too!

1. What is the biggest challenge facing student pastors today?

Time. Students have so much coming at them with an overload of school work, tons of sports – (b/c every parent thinks their kid is going be a pro), myspace, hanging out with friends, bf and gf….so as a student pastor it is hard to get them to a place where we can start to transform them. Once a week if that – is tough. But with God anything is possible!

Another thing is the line between 'good kid' and 'bad kid' are blurred. It used to be that there was a clear line between good and bad (ie. The bad kids wore motorcycle jackets and had slick back hair – the good kids wore khakis and button ups.) Today’s students reach out there and push the limits more and more. Suburban kids look nice and know the right answers, but inside they aren’t what they seem – a big surprise to parents!

2. Now for the fun stuff....when can we expect a Baby Tanner?

Before I am 30. I am currently 28.5

3. Exactly how many foreign accents do you have?

SEVEN:
- British “God save the queen”
- Irish “top of the mornin’ to ya.”
- Scottish “if it’s not Scottish – it’s crap!”
- Redneck “yall ain’t frum around here are ya?”
- Australian “put another shrimp on the Barbie”
- Middle European/Russian “ah yes – the vodka is wonderful.”
- Canadian “Yeah don’t ya know.”

4. Which has been your most favorite SLAMMED announcement video?

With the original slammed man Toby Mac! And I taught him the true way to SLAM.

5. Regular Dr. Pepper or Diet Dr. Pepper?

Is this FUR REEL? This isn’t even a question! Dr. Pepper is the only Pepper I recognize. When it was created in the 1800s – diet wasn’t in people’s vocab. I am currently on a DIET PLAN. People are like "so you are taking up that other Pepper?". NOPE. I am just cutting back. I would rather have one REEL DEAL – than three knock-offs.

And I am off the HOT SEAT!

1 comment:

Gene said...

Comments about Walt T:
1. As you can see in the pic, Walter outpunted his coverage by a mile.
2. I'm offended that you associate bad people with motorcycle jackets.
3. Explain to me again why Walter needs to go on a diet??