Tuesday, May 27, 2008

g-burg

Just got back from a long Memorial Day weekend vacation in the Smoky Mountains. What happened in Gatlinburg doesn't always stay in Gatlinburg:

1. We drove up late Thursday night and Alan was getting a little sleepy on the drive. So I gave him one of my Ipod earphones and we played Name that Tune to pass the time. And of course he guessed every Van Halen song in about three notes .

2. Have you ever noticed how easy it is for kids to make friends? The first day my kids got in the pool, they made friends with the other kids faster than I could get my book opened up and settled in my chair. Kids are social and uninhibited. And then they grow up to be adults.

3. The Gaither Family Fest was at the Convention Center in downtown Gatlinburg this past weekend. We got stuck in traffic until 11pm as the concert-goers swarmed out of the building, proudly displaying their Gaither concert t-shirts and baseball caps. As we people watched, I told Alan that "this was their Van Halen."

4. Allison and I like to invent words. I made up a new word this weekend. At least I think it's new:
vanagan (n) : a family minivan that is extremely overused...again and again.
Ex: Hey, kids! Go get in the vanagan (van again)!

5. There are no words to describe the downtown Gatlinburg scene at 11pm. Maybe what happens in Gatlinburg SHOULD stay in Gatlinburg.


No comments: