Monday, April 14, 2008

the outsider

I invited a new friend to TNC this past Sunday. Due to life choices and circumstances, she considers herself an outsider. She has a 'religious' background, but is currently unchurched and has been for a long time. She came to church and things did not go as I expected. This is what I had envisioned all week long:

My friend would wander outside for a little while, noticing the people around her and that they seemed to be a lot like her. She would come into the gym while the band played an instrumental version of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall". Her face would light up and the walls that she had put up would come tumbling down. She would begin to feel more comfortable and eager to hear or see what was next. As Pastor Tanner hypnotized her with the word he was bringin', she would begin to understand what the cross is all about and that she would have a divine and spiritual awakening. Her life would be changed for ever and ever! Hallelujah!

That is not exactly what happened.

My friend walked into the service, smiled and nodded her head in approval of the Pink Floyd song and said, "I want to hang around outside. Is that okay?" And that is exactly what she did. Except for coming back in and hearing the first ten minutes of Walt's message, she spent the majority of her time OUTSIDE...talking to people.

I told Gene that this is not what I had hoped for. He told me not to be discouraged, because he had invited someone to TNC who sat in his car for three Sundays before he would even come inside!

This is what I learned: All I can be responsible for is inviting people and helping create a welcoming environment. God is going to do the rest. He will move hearts, not always through the music or message. Maybe it will be through an experience in the lobby or a conversation outside. He knows the process it will take for each individual and it is different for everyone.

I need to throw my agenda out the window and let God do His job.

No comments: