Tuesday, April 29, 2008

may i help you?

Everything broke loose Sunday evening while we were preparing for our Facedown communion service at TrueNorth Church. Due to circumstances that come with being a portable church, we were scrambling around at the very last minute to prepare for the service. People who were coming in for the service were offering their help and I was very proud of those who stepped up to the plate. What really caught my attention was a conversation I witnessed between our pastor and our associate pastor:

Gene to Steve: Is there anything I can do for you?

Steve to Gene: No, is there anything I can do for you?

I'm serious...the place was chaos and both of these guys were sweating through their own tasks, but were truly concerned about helping the other. They weren't asking "what can you do for me?" but "what can I do for you?". I imagine this same conversation was taking place all across campus or we could not have pulled off this service.

Despite our dilemmas, Facedown turned out to be an amazing service thanks to people who allowed God to use them as servants for others.

"Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:43-45


No comments: