Tuesday, April 15, 2008

bookworms

I love books. Always have. In elementary school I was chosen as the library assistant for my class EVERY YEAR. One of my duties was making sure all my classmates' books were turned in on a weekly basis. I took my job very seriously...stamping the due dates in the back of the books was important work! I was such a book geek that I begged my mom to drop me off at the old Nancy Carson Library while she went to the grocery store. Dewey Decimal was one of my best friends!

My love for books and reading has rubbed off on my family. Twice while we were on vacation, we spent about an hour or so in Barnes and Noble and it wasn't even my idea! My eleven-year-old speed reader, Allison, read a 120-page book while we were hanging out at B&N. Alan and I have also gone on many dates that consisted of dinner and a trip to the bookstore. He says he had never read a book for fun in his life until he met me!

So...I usually read a lot of books in the summertime. I would love to hear some book recommendations from other readers out there. Leave a comment...I prefer non-fiction!

What is a must-read for this summer?????? And don't say 'The Bible'!



2 comments:

JohnSamson said...

I don't know if it's a "must read" but I am re-reading "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Normal Vincent Peale (the guy that founded Guideposts).

I first read it almost 20 years ago and it had a great effect on me, etc. Figured it was a good time to re-read.

P.S. Way to go Laura on getting the crew excited about reading!

I'll post more if I can think of them.

:)

- JS

Gene said...

Classic Christianity by Bob George
Margin by Richard Swenson
Joshua by Joseph Girzone(fiction)
Ordering Your Private World by Gordon McDonald
The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
Safely Home by Randy Alcorn (fiction)

(All but the last one are linked on my blog if you want to take a shortcut.)