Wednesday, August 29, 2007

goin' postal

I went to the local US Post Office a couple of days ago to buy ONE STAMP out of the machine in the lobby. There was no machine. So my only option was to go stand in line for my ONE STAMP. After counting the sea of people ahead of me in line and counting the number of postal workers, the math did not seem to be in my favor because there was no way I could stand in line that long for ONE STAMP and not go postal! I left...with no stamp.

Fast forward to yesterday, I had a box I needed to overnight to a friend and I remembered my experience just trying to get ONE STAMP. The thought of being still and bored for that long did not appeal to me. Surely there was another alternative. That is when I thought about the Goin' Postal store which is "conveniently" located near the real post office. I wondered if it was legit so I went to their website to do some research. I then called my friend who does business with Goin' Postal. After my thorough investigation, I added Goin' Postal to my to-do list.

I was the only customer in the store as I approached the counter with my unsealed box. I asked how much it would cost to overnight my package. When I found out it was LESS than USPS rates AND I would receive $100 worth of insurance on my package at no extra cost, I decided to go for it. The owner condensed my items into a smaller box, sealed it shut, asked me to fill out a shipping label, totaled my purchase and gave me a free Goin' Postal pen as a first time customer reward. I was also impressed when I checked out the countless stamp designs that were available. (Cute stamps are important to me.) This whole experience lasted five minutes tops!

The franchise name, Goin' Postal, is almost an oxymoron because the store makes you want to NOT "go postal". The people are so helpful and friendly you will wonder if it is for real or just a nice dream. I am Goin' Postal from now on. And if you value short lines, lots of cute stamps, great customer service, discount shipping, and a safe parking lot, you might want to consider Goin' Postal too.

1 comment:

Brent Douglas said...

Ha...I would've taped the 42 cents--or however much a stamp costs now--to the envelope and left it! The NA post office is way behind. The one closest to me at work is the Martinez branch and they have stamps. They also have a handy dandy machine that lets you weigh your package, print the postage, pay with cash or credit/debit and do all that junk yourself instead of waiting in line. I love it.

Goin' Postal is probably cheaper because they get a bulk rate and don't have to pay what us peons do...