Sunday, June 03, 2007

the big apple...part one


Alan, Kacie, and I were in New York City for a few days. We considered this her senior trip since she graduated from high school last week. It was a no-brainer for her to choose NY over the muddy waters of Myrtle Beach. Duh, mom!


Here is a quick summary of our experience...part one:

1. We were stranded in Washington, DC airport due to a terrorist scare at JFK in New York. My friends, Beth, Melanie, and Tracy, were tracking our flight on the internet to make sure we weren't headed to JFK. They were calling my cell to make sure we were okay. And we didn't even know what was going on! They knew more about me, my flight number, and my departure time than I did! I love my worry-wart friends! Of course I freaked out, but my Dramamine was kicking in. So I decided to take a nap and get over it. It took us most of the day to get to NY, so Saturday was pretty much lost.


2. Kacie and I shared a pair of iPod earbuds on the plane and played name that iTune.

3. I did not throw up on the airplane...this time! But almost.

4. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel. I am convinced there are NO RULES for taxi drivers. I thought we were going to die! Alan said our driver acted as though he was playing MarioKart...he was about to shoot some turtle shells any minute now. Whatever that means.


5. DO NOT wear flip flops in NY City if you are doing much walking. People step all over your feet and they don't care.

6. When the street signs say don't walk, they mean it. Don't even think about it.

7. More advice that I learned from experience: Don't sit on the sidewalk to get off your feet for a few minutes because more than likely you will get up with gum on your butt. Trust me.

8. Nobody laughed in NY. Maybe they left their sense of humor at home.


9. There were rude people and there were nice people. When I needed to ask someone a question, I made a game out of trying to pick out the nice people. I scored most of the time.


10. New York City has a Starbucks on just about every corner.

11. We went to a church on Sunday morning that is similar in style to TNC. We ran into a group of people from Marietta who know Lance and Jenny Lou. Small world!

12. Alan ran into one of his friends' sons on the street in Chinatown...the only person we actually know in NY. Another random moment.

13. I missed sweet tea so bad! One waiter said they had tea and I could "add sugar". Not!


2 comments:

Brent Douglas said...

No flip flops in NYC?! All the more reason not to go, I say!

Band practice tonight...it's about time I get some stage time with the one and only Laura again! It's been ages! And we're even doing my favorite song where you can whip up some of those circus sounds on "The Difference"!

LAURA'S BLOG said...

Hey Brent! I had been wondering if you had specifically requested not to play on the Sundays that I play...just kidding! See ya at prax!