Tuesday, October 31, 2006

poor socks

It hurts to have pets.

I blogged about my cats, Socks and Frisky last week. And this weekend, Socks went to kitty heaven. On Saturday, Allison and her BFF, Elizabeth, discovered a very still Socks lying in the wet morning grass, apparently a victim of a cat-hating dog. Did you hear the kids wailing and screaming? The sounds could be heard for miles.

Socks and Frisky were twins, never apart, always wrestling and playing. Here is a picture of Socks with his arm around Frisky about 4 months and 20 pounds ago. To pay my respects to our precious Socks, here is my best attempt at an obituary.

Socks Owings
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Socks Owings, age 7 months, died Friday night, October 27 or Saturday morning, October 28 (details are sketchy). Funeral services and burial were conducted at the residence on Saturday, October 28 by the Right Reverend Alan Owings.

Socks was a lifelong resident of North Augusta. He enjoyed wrestling with his twin brother, Frisky. He also liked to torture the boxer that lives at the same residence. Socks was well-known for his loud purring and his love of Friskies Ocean Fish Flavor cat food.

Additional survivors include his mother, Mama Kitty (address unknown) and a half-sister, Gray Kitty. He was preceded in death by another half-sister and brother, Kitty and Kitty Kitty. Socks is also survived by his loving caretakers, Kacie, Allison, and Matthew.

Memorials may be made to the TrueNorth Church Building Fund.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Poor socks...to answer your question: Yes, I did hear the loud crying of Allison and Elizabeth...and I was in the shower two doors down!

Socks was a great cat! I want the world to know this.

I can only imagine how Frisky feels. My guess is that Frisky feels like he's missing the other part of the "pair." We all understand this when lose one of our "socks." There's that one lonely left-behind part of the pair just wondering, "why?" Why was I left behind. What purpose do I have now that my companion is gone? What will happen to me now? Poor Frisky....I know how lost he must feel. RIP Socks....