Monday, October 02, 2006

m-m-m-my jehovah's

I took my friend Melanie to a day surgery appointment last week. We were in a small waiting room (about 10x10) and enjoying our girl talk in peace. Then “they” came in…four people who were apparently connected in various ways to another patient that was having a procedure done. Within thirty seconds, we knew they were Jehovah’s Witnesses. Somehow they slipped that piece of information in during our introductions.

Then Mel left me. Alone. With “them”.

I spent about an hour with my Jehovah’s Witnesses. We did not talk about religion. Except I did refer to the fact that I am in a band at my church. I saw them make eyes toward the Bible that was in my lap and then there was silence. And tension. Four of them turned into seven of them as we waited. I was outnumbered big time…more tension.

During our time together in the waiting room, this is what I learned about my Jehovah’s:

1. They like the same things that I do. They watch Saturday Night Live. We talked about Will Farrell and his cowbell, Stuart Smalley’s Daily Affirmations, and other SNL faves. I laughed at their stories and they laughed at mine.

2. They love each other. I got the scoop on the lady that they were all there to support. She was like the “Aunt Bee” of everyone there. I found out that they weren’t all blood-related but “spiritually related”. They took turns going in to see her and were truly concerned for her.

3. These JW’s go on mission trips and are mission-minded. They have a passion for what they believe in and want to share it with everyone.

My fears came from my upbringing that you should avoid getting into a conversation with a JW. When they ring your doorbell, you turn off the TV and all the lights, then call your neighbors and tell them that “they” are coming up the street. They might brainwash you or out-talk you during a debate and have you questioning your own beliefs.

But what began as a feeling of uneasiness on my part turned into compassion for my JW’s. I felt sorry for them because they think that what they believe is true. And I bet they felt sorry for me too, bless my heart. I know that I should not judge them, because guess what Jesus said? Love them. And if the door opens up in the future for me to share my beliefs, I pray that I will put aside my fears and speak the Truth with confidence.

No comments: