Thursday, August 03, 2006

i miss my MTV

It was the early ‘80s. I was perfectly content wearing out the joystick on my Atari, when something better and more socially interactive came along. MTV had entered my living room and my world would never be the same.

I am not embarrassed to admit this: I could act out and sing to every video that they showed. All fifteen of them. I didn’t have a single friend (or boyfriend) who was as crazy about this new concept as I was. They were quickly burnt out on When Doves Cry, Jump, 99 LUFT Balloons (not RED…I liked the German version better), Hey Mickey, and Hungry Like the Wolf. Then the Video Music Awards were introduced. I planned my weekends around the show, with my predictions in hand.

Then the ‘90s came along and I was involved in my career and raising a family. I still caught some glimpses of my MTV, but it was apparently changing faster than I could change a diaper. Grunge was on the scene…and I just couldn’t sing and dance to something I didn’t understand the words to. I could appreciate the new sound…it just wasn’t visual anymore. The Real World also caught my attention (my first encounter with reality TV). The Puck and Pedro/San Francisco season was the first and last season for me.

The alphabet and number groups (TLC, *NSYNC, DMX, POD, 50 Cent, Blink 182, and Sum 41) helped usher in the new century. (I hope they know that U2 started that trend in the 80’s!) To their disadvantage, their videos have been overshadowed by ride pimpers, spring breakers, and prank punkers. And there is more jiggle going on these days than a Bill Cosby Jell-O commercial. If I were to act out any of this generation’s videos like I did in the past, I might either break a body part or get pregnant.

MTV has “jumped the shark” because it isn’t about music at all. It’s about programming and money.

But they know their young audiences. The powers-that-be at MTV understand that the youth of this generation relate to things that are short-lived. Young people absorb themselves in technology and visual stimulation. They need a dose of reality by being engaged in real life situations.

The Church could learn a lesson from the MTVers. There is a responsibility to connect with the present culture, without compromising the Truth. Jesus did it. He knew his audience. Modern churches today are using cutting edge graphics, gargantuan video screens, diverse music styles, amazing light shows, and relevant, biblical Truth to reach the same audience that MTV is attracting.

Who is doing a better job?

No comments: