Tuesday, August 29, 2006

bow to the crown


Meet Kacie. She is my 17 year old “baby gurrl”…please do not stalk her.

Kacie is in her senior year of high school and I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to talk about the SAT, college choices, GPA, or class rank. And don’t even get me started on senior pictures, baby ads for the yearbook, or senior trip. I just want to pretend this isn’t happening.

I told Kacie a couple of weeks ago that I was going to “back off” this year. No more bugging her about homework, no more reminding her about stuff, no more meddling. My role is shifting from “manager” to “consultant”. Not that I like it…and I sure don’t want to talk about it.

The senior class chose this t-shirt “Bow to the Crown” to represent the Class of 2007. High school seniors always relish in the glory of tradition – that they are superior in rank to the underclassmen. They wear their gold cardstock crowns to the pep rallies with pride.

When I saw this shirt, the first questions to cross my mind were: Did I do a good job raising her to bow to the crown of Jesus Christ? Is her foundation strong enough to keep her focused toward the path of the throne?

We have so many responsibilities as parents. Keeping our children healthy, not only physically, but spiritually, is at the top of the list. It is not the responsibility of the church to provide my child with 100% of the recommended daily allowance of spiritual nutrition. After all, they only get my kid a few hours a week. But I am grateful to the churches who “partnered” with me, guiding me and equipping me as a parent.

Sometimes we have to talk about things even when we don’t want to or know how to.

1 comment:

Paulo J said...

i often wondered how God related to me as my heavenly Father because i had the image of my earthly father there with me. i guess God does the same kinds of things with us as we are born and start maturing. great post!