Thursday, August 21, 2008

right or wrong

Last Friday, we moved Kacie back to Clemson to begin her sophomore year in the Promiseland. We had to stop by a storage facility in Clemson we had previously rented to store some of her furniture and belongings. As I returned the lock and key to the office, Mr. McMuscle Shirt gave me back my ten dollar security deposit. I asked him if he had two fives. As he rolled his eyes and pulled out his fat wad of money, this is what he said to me:

"I am SO glad I am not married."

Rude. All I asked for was two fives.

Since I had just hugged my daughter goodbye ten minutes earlier , trying NOT to cry a river this time, it was not a good time for Mr. McMuscle Shirt to treat me this way. I had two choices at this point: (a) do the right thing or (b) do the wrong thing. I was already an emotional wreck and I really wanted to do (b) and go off on this guy. But I knew it would make Jesus look bad, so I decided to suck it up and do (a). So I said to him:

"You must be having a bad day".

Yes, he had. Mr. McMuscle Shirt's attitude changed. He softened up and tried to make up for his rude remark. It was a pleasant ending that could have ended up badly.

Isn't it sometimes difficult to do the right thing when it is so easy to do the wrong thing? I have done a lot of wrong things and made poor choices in my lifetime. I want to spend the rest of my life doing the right thing because I want to make Jesus look good.

No comments: