Wednesday, March 12, 2008

friends in lowe's places

Alan and I are in the middle of a bathroom remodel and I have spent a lot of time at Lowe's these past few weeks. Sometimes I go in, get what I need, and leave. Other times I just stare at stuff, like a deer in head lights. I stare at light fixtures. I stare at faucets. Then I come back in a few days and stare again. Eventually I make a decision and move on to the next thing to stare at.

As much as I have been in Lowe's, it is not surprising that the employees are beginning to remember me. I have new best friends now. Richard from flooring. Sidney from lights. And Cleo. I have made other friends, but we're not on a first name basis YET. I had a conversation about tile grout with another customer on aisle 31 on Sunday and I saw the same customer on Tuesday in the paint department. He looked like a deer in head lights too.

I feel a sense of community when I go into Lowe's. If I need help, I know who to ask. And there are other clueless customers like me who I can relate to. Everybody helps each other get their projects done.

What places do you frequent that give you a sense of community? Starbucks? The gym? Church? How can you build relationships in these places to create that feeling of familiarity?

1 comment:

smoke said...

Go meet Steven in cabinetry! Had to work and missed his son's first T-ball game. Great guy!