Thursday, September 20, 2007

parental control

I love listening to my Sirius radio! Even though I have access to 198 stations of various genres, I usually just listen to the nine that I have programmed on my preset buttons. My nine are Spirit (Christian), The Pulse ('90s and now), Sirius Hits 1 (Top 40), Alt Nation (Alternative), Totally 70's, The Big 80's, New Country, Radio Disney, and The Coffee House. I enjoy the variety since my music mood changes from day to day. I was listening to Totally 70's last week(ok...I admit it) and found myself singing along with Neil Sedaka's "Laughter In the Rain". I knew every word and I was embarrassed of my own self. I looked at my Sirius display and it showed that song was a hit in 1974, when I was only seven years old.

Why can I remember every word to a song that was made popular when I was seven and now I can't remember to get sugar when I'm at the grocery store? How is it that I forget to return a DVD to the movie store, but I am able to remember dance routines from my years of ballet and tap?

Because the human mind is easily moldable at a very young age.

Alan and I were watching a movie one night at home when Matthew (age 3 at the time) walked through the room just as a four-letter word was shouted from the screen. About one week later, as we were celebrating Mother's Day after church on a Sunday afternoon, Matthew gave his mother and grandmother a present that will never be forgotten...he screamed his new cuss word across the restaurant for everyone to hear. The sad part is that this word cannot be erased from his mind. But he knows now not to ever say it again.

It is a huge challenge for parents today to ensure that what their children are exposed to does not compromise the development of their young minds. From video games to TV shows and movies, to music and online activities, so many opportunities are readily accessible for their minds to be corrupted. I know that I want to be a more responsible parent by helping filter out the filth while my kids are young and before it is too late to correct the damage.

I love what Plato said in reference to childhood exposure to something as primitive as a STORY:

And shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tale which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we wish them to have when they are grown up? We cannot.... Anything received into the mind at this age is likely to become indelible and unalterable; and therefore it is most important that the tales which the young first hear should be models of virtuous thoughts.... (Plato, 374 B.C., p. 72)

No comments: