Friday, January 26, 2007

out with the gold, in with the new!

I am dangerous with a can of black spray paint.

Over the last six months I have slowly been updating a few things in my house. Not big projects though, because that would be complicating my life instead of simplifying. I am talking about small projects that make a big impact. For example, in my den, I have lots of 5 x 7 pictures of my family....the pictures are inside GOLD frames. That is SO 90's! And I'm just not in the mood to spend the money to replace them with black ones, just because of the color. So I pull out the $4 can of flat black spray paint, spread out my newspapers in the yard, line up my shiny frames on the paper, and spray away! Sometimes I am heavy-handed with the paint and other times I use a light touch, which creates a whole different look. It's an art form that takes time to master, but the end result is quite impressive.

Another project that I tackled was some natural-colored wicker furniture that now looks showroom fresh due to my black spray painting. This type of project is for the advanced artist since primer should be applied. My next victims will be a gold-finish plate rack on my wall and some green wrought iron end tables.

So I told Alan how much money I saved him with my low-cost spray painting technique. He just thinks I have gone crazy and wants to know if I am going to spray paint him next!


No comments: