Thursday, January 11, 2007

more is less

I have been very aware lately of the many choices that are available to me each and every day. For instance, there are 198 channels on my Sirius satellite radio and I usually only listen to nine. Comcast offers me 448 channels of viewing pleasure. Have you looked at Ruby Tuesday’s menu? There are 18 varieties of Handcrafted Burgers from The Classic to The Bacon Avocado Turkey Burger. And the last time I tried to upgrade my wireless plan, I was so overwhelmed with choices, I just said never mind, I’ll keep the one I have.

There is a story about a lady who sold preserves at a Farmer's market. She had five flavors and sold more than she thought in just an hour. Wow, she thought. If I offer fifteen kinds of preserves, I'll clean up. So, she came back with fifteen flavors. It took her longer to sell less product. The Farmer's market customers, it seems, were just confused by all the choices and moved on to the bread table instead.

Too many choices leave people dissatisfied and frustrated...resulting in them choosing nothing at all! Studies show that when people are faced with fewer decisions, they feel more confident to make a decision. Could this be why people move away from the church...because they want simplicity instead of complication? Being all things to all people, with programs and ministries that have drifted away from the original vision will create a church of chaos. That is why TrueNorth Church is exploring the concept of simplicity in the current series, 'Simplify'. Come check it out as we encounter simplicity together and seek God's will for our lives and our church.

No comments: