Thursday, September 14, 2006

dude ain't no lady


There ain’t nothin’ girlie about my man!

I call my hubby at work and invite him to lunch…just us, no kids. I tell him I’ve been wanting to try out a new café in town and then I say we can go to Lowe’s afterward and look at ceiling fans. His voice perks up when he hears the word Lowe’s.

Ok…so I am a little late getting there due to a slow check-out line at Walmart. Alan has been hanging around the gift shop part of the cafe while waiting. Not a good thing…and a bad way for me to start off our lunch date.

We enter the café area, where there are about six tables in a very small room. Pastel tablecloths and lots of feminine details accent this room. Alan says that he is very uncomfortable here. This place is way too girlie for him. I go into a trance because I hear the two ladies behind me say the words ProTools, band, and Jesusfest. I want to turn around and see who they are because I’m nosy like that. Alan realizes I am eavesdropping and rolls his eyes.

When the waitress comes over to our table, I ask her to tell him that lots of men come in here for lunch. She says she can’t tell him that because they don’t. Apparently the last man that came in here said he had to leave because there was WAY too much estrogen in here for him. Wimp.

I know I am in trouble when I taste the tea. It has a fruity taste. FRUITY. The eyes are rolling again. Alan plays it safe and orders a tuna salad sandwich. Of course it is on a croissant and there are no chips or manly french fries, only fruit garnish. FRUIT.

We make it through our lunch date and Alan looks at his watch and says he might have time to run through McDonalds before he goes back to work. I apologize repeatedly.

Next time, I’m taking a girlie girl with me.

No comments: