Friday, September 22, 2006

do what?

Over two years ago, my family decided to help start a church in North Augusta. All I knew was that it would be contemporary in style and focused on unchurched people. We traveled with a small group of people for five weeks to visit other churches that were similar to what we had envisioned. One of those weeks we travelled to NewSpring Church in Anderson, SC. When we left I said, "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" NewSpring soon became a major role model for TrueNorth Church.

NewSpring is pastored by a goofball by the name of Perry Noble. He is a self-proclaimed redneck. But his passion for Jesus and for people is contagious throughout his congregation and perhaps that is why NewSpring is very close to outgrowing their new worship facility that was just completed this year.

I read several church leader blogs every day...one of them is Perry's. I have learned that the Innovative Church Conference was held at Granger Community Church in Indiana this week. And according to Mark Batterson's blog (I dont know him or why I added him to my favorites) it appears that Perry was speaking and was in rare form. According to Mark's blog, here are some of the quotes from Perry that only Perry can get away with:

"Pastors, I have a word from the Lord. Get rid of the preacher hair."

"I was pagan of the year eight years running."

"Church ought to be the most engaging place on the planet. If the tomb is really empty we ought to act like it."

"Get out of the box or let God out of His. He wants to move."

"I've been accused of lots of things, but I've never been accused of being deep."

"We lose steeple people all the time."

"If you target the people nobody else wants you won't be able to stop growing."

"Be more concerned about who is coming in the door than those who are going out the door."

"A church is not effective when a pastor ministers to the people. A church is effective when the body ministers to the body."

"People will sit on their blessed assurance as long as you let them."

And the prayer that the New Spring staff prays: "Dear Jesus, Yes. Amen."


You gotta love this guy!

No comments: