Tuesday, April 14, 2009

i knew it would happen

I knew it would happen. There was once a time when he couldn't get enough of me, now he will barely touch me. I have felt him slipping away for a while now. After seven wonderful years, our relationship has officially transitioned and someone else has taken my place.

I am talking about my seven year old son, Matthew.

Me: Matthew, have you given your mama a hug today? (I pull him toward me.)
Matthew: Stop! You're embarrassing me.

I knew it would happen. The day would arrive when my son would resist my affection and cling to his dad. Since the day he was born, I knew I would have to let him go. First to his dad, and then to his future wife.

And I don't like it one bit.

However, in order for Matthew to have healthy relationships as an adult, I have to encourage him to become a man and to be independent of me.

I am not giving up on showing my affection to him. I just have to find creative ways to love him without embarrassing him now!




No comments: