Friday, October 31, 2008

i don't do scary

Halloween has never been one of my favorite times of the year. Probably because I'm not big on surprises or scary things. Like haunted houses. You know...the kind you don't really see anymore. The old abandoned houses that were once transformed into your worst nightmare. The kind where you had to stand outside in the freezing cold forever, pay a small admission price, and be chased out by a chainsaw-wielding maniac three minutes later. The last time I was chased out by a chainsaw, I fell face first into the grass. The guy actually put down the chainsaw and helped me up. Thanks, Chainsaw Man. Then he cranked it back up and chased me to my car. You probably heard me screaming. And that wasn't too long ago!

I don't like scary movies either. I grew up in the days of The Exorcist, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Stephen King's stuff and I watched it all. So, no thank you. I like being able to sleep with my eyes shut instead of open at night.

What I do like is the excitement of helping my kids decide on a costume and watching it come to life. I love seeing them run their little legs off across the neighborhood yards with their cousins to get another piece of candy to add to their already too-full bag. I enjoy eating chili and cornbread on Halloween night with my family. I like pumpkins and mums and candy apples.

I just don't do scary.

No comments: