Monday, September 15, 2008

need more margin

I am a person who always gets in a hurry at the last minute. I am usually breaking my neck to get places because I don't leave enough margin in my schedule for getting somewhere EARLY. You can count on me being right on time or a few minutes late. I want to do better and I am working on that!

When I am in a hurry, the law of Murphy always steps in an reminds me to slow down. Recently I was on my way to a meeting and rushed in to Walmart to quickly grab a few things, hoping not to end up in a conversation with anyone. Item number one was easy and the coast was clear with item number two. But it was that gallon of milk in the far back corner of the store that would be my challenge. As soon as I rounded the corner, there she was...the coworker from my previous job that I had not seen in about five years. I knew that I would surely be late for my meeting and I would have some explaining to do. I decided to slow down and spend a few minutes reconnecting with her.

Relationship:1 Timeliness: 0

I don't want to continue dodging people because I missed the mark on my time management. I want to be available and accessible to people. It is the only way to truly cultivate relationships.

1 comment:

Gene said...

Richard Swenson has an excellent book called "Margin." I highly recommend it.