Monday, December 25, 2006

he just THOUGHT he felt good...



...now he REALLY feels good.

I hate when my dad calls me and says, "Guess who died"...because my heart starts racing and I start thinking of all the people that I hope he doesn't say. I knew James Brown was sick, but I didn't expect to hear about his death on Christmas morning.

I'm sure that James Brown tribute shows are in the works as I type. His face will be on the cover of many magazines. More streets, buildings, and awards will be named in his honor. Folks will be lined up to pose with his statue in downtown Augusta. And rightly so...he was a great pioneer in the history of music as we know it. His influence goes unmatched across music genres. Not only that, but his desire to serve mankind should be his biggest legacy.

James Brown did a lot of good things...and has been accused of some bad things. The good things didn't get him into heaven and the bad things didn't keep him out. His relationship with God was his ticket. He was quoted by Don Rhodes as saying, "God is the greatest hit maker in the world. I'd rather be a poor man with religion than a rich man without it." He always acknowledged God's presence and power in his life.

The most fitting quote I've seen about James Brown came from Rev. Jesse Jackson:

"He was dramatic to the end - dying on Christmas Day. Almost a dramatic, poetic moment. He'll be all over the news all over the world today. He would have it no other way."

That makes me smile...and feel good, knowing that papa's got a brand new bag.

No comments: