Friday, July 11, 2008

second saturday on thursday

So God called my bluff this week after I wrote this post about the homeless. The timing of this opportunity could not be a coincidence. Was I ready to roll up my sleeves?

Our student ministry, Element, just returned from a mission trip to Columbia, SC (Go Camp). Their service did not end there. They came home with the idea of making bag lunches for the homeless and distributing them through downtown Augusta. The kids wanted to make an impact in our community and have a personal encounter with those less fortunate. After reading my blog post, student pastor Walt Tanner asked me if I wanted to help. How could I say no?

We had a total of 22 people, including my eleven and seven year olds, making lunches and walking the streets of Augusta. Since this project was student-lead, they made all the decisions. I didn't have to tell them what to do, they told ME what to do.

I am so proud of our Element youth! We are growing an awesome group of leaders who definitely have hearts for serving.

No comments: